Most homeowners rarely give their HVAC systems or the ductwork a second thought, the heat comes on in the winter and the AC in the summer so everything must be fine. That isn’t always the case, most problems you don’t even notice until something big goes wrong. Part of regular maintenance on your home is keeping your HVAC system running smoothly and your ducts cleaned. If you haven’t the first clue when the ducts were cleaned last or if it is time to get the done again then here are 5 signs that you need your ductwork cleaned.
Signs You Need the Ducts Cleaned
- Constant stuffy nose or cold. If you wake up every morning stuffed up or you feel like you might be getting a head cold all of the time then it may be time to check your duct work. If the ducts are dirty and the forced air from your furnace is blowing that dust and debris all through your home it can affect your sinuses and even trigger asthma attacks. Cleaning your ducts can dramatically improve the air quality in your home.
- Signs of pests. Insects and even vermin can get inside your ductwork and make a mess. If you check the registers or ductwork and seen scratches, feces or what looks like husks or shells it may be time to have them cleaned. It may also indicate you need some pest control done at your home as well.
- Signs of mold: Mold is a huge problem and you need to deal with it immediately. Mold in your ducts can causing breathing issues and make you sick. If left untreated it can cause massive structural issues with your home so don’t mess around. Mold also indicates that you have a moisture problem in your home that needs to be looked at as well. Contact an HVAC contractor right away and get the issue looked at.
- It has been a year or more since they were cleaned: Many HVAC companies will tell you that ductwork should be cleaned seasonally, but that really isn’t the case. The EPA actually recommends that you do it once a year or on an as-needed basis.
- Clean the heat registers regularly: When you clean or vacuum around the house make sure that every once in a while you take the registers off and clean them out with just a damp cloth. You may want to vacuum around them to get rid of unwanted dust before putting everything back together. It will give you the time to do any inspections that are needed.
Hiring Someone to Clean Your Ducts
When you bring an HVAC contractor to clean your air ducts make sure they do a complete job. This should also include replacing filters in your furnace or central air unit, they need to also clean the vents that lead to the outside of your home. Be cautious of any chemicals they may be using and that they are safe for you and any pets in the home.